Each cubmaster will have their own style and way of doing things. Divine inspiration may whisper emphasis on one detail over another. These are just some ideas that work well for me.
Step one: the Pack Meeting Agenda
Opening activity: This keeps the boys (and siblings) who've arrived busy until time to start. It can follow the theme of the night, like making a slide or other craft, but remember that you don't want to leave someone out who didn't get there early enough to complete the project, so keep it simple. Often I specifically save some of the setting up, like drawing pictures representing the theme on the chalkboard, so that when the boys arrive and say, "What can I do to help?", I have a job for them.
On time treat: Some cubmasters give out a tiny piece of candy for everyone who's on time. Some let the boys put their names into a drawing for a little prize. Whatever you do, encourage promptness and START ON TIME. You have a lot to cram into an hour and those who arrived on schedule shouldn't be punished by a late start.
Opening prayer: I keep track of which boys I've asked so that everyone gets equal opportunity to participate in this, however, I'm careful to let them know IT"S OK if they don't want to.
Flag Ceremony: Some cubmasters like to assign this ahead of time, but this never worked with my leaders. 90% of the time, they forgot, and I'm not one to nag, so it works best for us if I just prepare it. I keep it simple, reinforcing the theme, bringing the boys up and handing them the props and script. I rotate the flag ceremony, skit, and song between the three dens.
Announcements: Aside from the obvious details on upcoming events, this is a good time to have each den report on what they've been doing, show off stuff they've made, and generally be the center of attention.
Scout Oath: We stand and recite the oath, parents and all, and it's written on a poster so everyone is comfortable with the words.
Skit: I write out jokes or little skits that reinforce the theme, and again, keep it simple enough that I can hand the boys their parts and they can just read them.
Song: If there isn't a silly song available that fits the theme, I change the words to a familiar tune. If this isn't your thing, assign it out, because creative people love to create and would be honored to have this monthly assignment. I bring up the den whose turn it is and they help me get the rest of the room to participate.
Activity: This is the part where we all play. If I'm changing into a character, I throw on a simple costume and apologize for a really bad accent, like the queen who follows the progress of her subjects becoming Knights, or the pirate captain teaching compassion for those with disabilities. Involve the parents and siblings. Get a little crazy. Use activities that will reinforce the theme.
Awards: Every boy doesn't earn a badge every month, but if you can give each one SOMETHING, it recognizes them and shows how much they mean to you. It can be a wooden block with the value written on it. It can be a cardboard sword representing Knights and Citizenship. It can be a little plastic farm animal to remind him to be responsible and do his chores. When a boy isn't there, I save his stuff until he is, so that even if he missed the pack meeting, he's still getting the item that reinforces the value and shows he was missed.
Cubmaster Minute: I call all the cubs to the front, look right into their eyes, and tell them how much God loves them and wants the value to help them in their lives. Then I give them a little candy.
Prayer:
Treats: If the treat can go along with the theme, like cupcakes made to look like baseballs for Health & Fitness, or chocolate pudding (dirt) with pretzels (wood) and red hots (flames of a fire) for Responsibility and Fire Safety, GREAT!
Did I forget anything? What traditions does your pack have?
No comments:
Post a Comment